You can now add your BlueCross member ID to Apple Wallet,™ making it easy to display your insurance information when getting care. This new capability also makes it easy to share this information with others, like a grandparent or a caregiver, who may help one of your covered dependents get care.
Last fall, we hosted an internal competition which gave employees the chance to pitch creative project ideas using data and technology. BlueCross leaders evaluated the proposals and decided to pursue integrating member ID cards into Apple Wallet. One reason this idea made the cut is we’ve heard from members who want quick access to key information for frequently used services.
“This is one more way we’re making it simpler and more convenient for our members when they’re getting care,” says Satyan Patel, senior digital analyst.
How does it work?
To add your Member ID card to Apple Wallet:
- Open the MyBlueTN App on your Apple device, or download it free from the App Store, and then log in (credentials are the same as your BlueAccess member portal login)
- Select view ID card
- Tap “add to Apple Wallet”
You can share your member ID with family members or caregivers by:
- Opening your member ID card in your Apple Wallet
- Clicking on the circle in the upper right-hand corner
- Choosing “share,” and selecting the recipient and the way they’ll receive it (text, email, air drop, etc.)
To help protect your privacy and health information, make sure to only share your member ID with family members or caregivers you trust, or your health care providers.
“We wanted it to be easy to display the information you need, including phone numbers related to your insurance coverage,” says Lucas Pozzi de Souza, applications systems analyst specialist.
Here’s how both sides of the member ID display on an iPhone:
Our teams are evaluating the possibility of including a wallet pass on Android devices, as well as making a digital ID card available when members log in to BCBST.com.