CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee gained 53,460 members during the 2015 enrollment period for the Health Insurance Marketplace. That net gain brings the company’s total membership count to 164,896 Tennesseans.
“It’s important for us to have again earned the trust of the majority of those in the market, including those customers who chose us in the first open enrollment,” said Henry Smith, BlueCross’ senior vice president of operations and chief marketing officer. “We’re pleased that our customers saw the value in our products and service.”
A snapshot of BlueCross’ Marketplace enrollment as of the Feb. 15 deadline shows:
• Total Marketplace membership is 164,896
• Approximately 80 percent of members receive federal premium assistance
• About 51 percent of members are 45 and older
• The average age of Marketplace members is 43
• 54 percent of members are female, while 46 percent are male
• 27 percent of members are young invincibles, ages 18-34
• 70 percent of Marketplace shoppers selected a silver plan
• Share of the market is approximately 70 percent
• The largest percentage of members – 29 percent – live in the Nashville area
On-Marketplace membership distribution across the state stands at 16 percent in the greater Knoxville area; 12 percent for greater Chattanooga, 13 percent for greater Memphis and 29 percent for Nashville.
Marketplace open enrollment ended Feb. 15. This year, a special enrollment period is being offered from March 15 to April 30 for those who are faced with a tax penalty for not having coverage when filing their 2014 taxes. For more information on BlueCross plans sold on the Marketplace, visit bcbst.com.
About BlueCross® BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee’s mission is to provide its customers and communities with peace of mind through better health. Founded in 1945, the Chattanooga-based company is focused on serving more than 3.3 million members in Tennessee and across the country. BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Inc. is an independent licensee of the BlueCross BlueShield Association. For more information, visit the company’s website at bcbst.com.