Contributions support public spaces, disaster relief, children’s health and fight against opioid abuse
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee charitable giving totaled $10.7 million statewide in 2017.
Included in the company’s annual giving tally are $9 million from the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Health Foundation, $600,000 from the Community Trust and $785,000 in corporate donations.
“We truly are ‘of Tennessee,’ and we are committed to keeping our neighbors and communities healthy and strong,” said Roy Vaughn, chief communications officer for BlueCross and executive director of the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Health Foundation. “In 2017, we provided funding and support to organizations serving people in virtually every corner of the state.”
Beyond financial support, nearly 4,000 BlueCross employees participated in more than 100 volunteer opportunities across Tennessee, giving more than 8,000 hours of service to their local communities with an equivalent value of almost $200,000.
Major charitable investments for 2017 included:
- $1.3 million to the Count It! Lock It! Drop It! statewide campaign to reduce opioid misuse and abuse
- $1 million to support the renovation of Miller Park in Chattanooga
- $500,000 to help fund the new Children’s Hospital Outpatient Center at Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga
- $200,000 to the Public Education Foundation to support its STEP-UP Chattanooga internship program
- $200,000 to East Tennessee Children’s Hospital in Knoxville
- $200,000 to Dayspring Family Health Center in Jellico to fight neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS)
- $158,000 to the Clarksville Rotary Club for the construction of an accessible baseball field
- $75,000 to the American Red Cross for hurricane relief efforts
- $55,000 to the Mending Hearts Camp at the Orpheum Theatre in Memphis, which helps children grieving the loss of a parent
- $40,000 to Howard’s Hope in Murfreesboro, providing free swimming lessons to disadvantaged children
- $40,000 to the Shelby Farms Park Conservancy in Memphis for its Bike Recycle Program
For stories on how these charitable grants are changing lives, visit BetterTennessee.com. And to see a detailed listing of all organizations supported by county, visit BetterTennessee.com/Partners.
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee’s mission is to peace of mind through better health. Founded in 1945, the Chattanooga-based company is focused on serving more than 3.4 million members in Tennessee and across the country. BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Inc. is an independent licensee of the BlueCross BlueShield Association. For more information, visit the company’s website at bcbst.com.
About BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Community Trust
The Community Trust is a 501(c)(4) organization designed to allow BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee to offer additional support to charitable and civic causes in the communities we serve.
About BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Health Foundation, Inc.
The BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Health Foundation, Inc. (THF) was established in December 2003 as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation organized to promote the philanthropic mission of BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee. THF awards grants focused on high-impact initiatives across the state that promote better health.