Tennessee is the first state in the country to launch a safety rating system for children’s sports leagues.
Safe Stars uses rankings of Gold, Silver and Bronze to indicate that recommended safety protocols are being followed.
The Bronze Star rating certifies that:
- All coaches are trained in concussion and sudden cardiac arrest recognition and management
- An automated external defibrillator (AED) is on-site
- A minimum of two coaches are CPR/AED certified — with one always present
- A severe weather policy is in place
- Anaphylaxis and allergy emergency plans are in place
Silver and Gold Star ratings include additional safety measures.
Participation is voluntary, but the Department of Health believes leagues will see value in the ratings.